Promoting British Values & The Prevent Duty
Promoting British Values
Fundamental British Values
At Basnett Street Nursery School we promote the fundamental British Value of Democracy, the Rule of Law, Individual Liberty, Mutual Respect and Tolerance of those with different Faiths and Beliefs. We believe that the EYFS (Early Years Foundation Stage) already provides a solid foundation to encourage a child's understanding and acceptance that we live in diverse communities with many different cultures and lifestyles.
As a school we will actively promote fundamental British Values:
- Democracy - We listen to the children's and parent's voices. We promote a sense of belonging to the school community, where we seek to take account of each other's views, and where members of the community are expected to contribute and co-operate.
- The Rule of law - We consistently reinforce our high expectations of children. Children are taught the value and the reasons behind our expectations (rules): that they are there to protect us, that everyone has responsibilities and that there are consequences when rules are broken. Our school Behaviour Policy supports these values.
- Individual Liberty - Within school, children are actively encouraged to make choices, knowing that they are in a safe and supportive environment. As a school we educate, and provide boundaries for young children so that they can make choices safely through provision of a safe enabling environment and effective teaching.
- Mutual Respect - The ethos of Basnett Street Nursery School is based on core values, one of which is respect. We expect children to learn to care for others, to share and to listen to each other. Staff help children to understand how to respect by talking about how actions and words can affect others, and by modelling this in their relationships with each other.
- Tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs - We aim to enhance children's understanding of different beliefs and faiths by celebrating a range of festivals throughout the year. Children have the opportunity to wear traditional costumes and try different foods from other cultures. We encourage parents and carers to support and participate in our events together as a community. It is our aim to develop empathy and understanding and to make everyone at Basnett Street Nursery School feel valued and respected. There are opportunities provided to encourage respect for other faiths and traditions through local visits to places of workship different to the majority faith in our school to encourage appreciation, respect and tolerance.